21 November 2010

We did something besides study and work!

We went to a Physics Demonstration night (Friday)!  It was really pretty neat.  We watched the guy turn a pickle into a lightbulb.... we liked that experiment a lot.  We didn't get very many pictures because they were going from thing to thing so fast that it was nearly impossible to take the few I did take.  Anyways here is the guy blowing packing peanuts out of a cup by giving them a charge:


Then he put a mop on the thing.  That was pretty neat because he could make the strings not stick up by poking his finger at it:

Some cool things with magnets, wires, and capacitors:

He used his electromagnet to fling an aluminum ring at the ceiling.  Of course to get it to go that high he had to freeze the ring in liquid nitrogen.  He also made magnets hover by freezing them.  It was so cool.

This was the biggest thing of their show... they had some pretty monstrous 2500v charges coming off of that thing:
So yeah we thought it was fun to do something for once.  I don't recommend turning a pickle into a lightbulb by the way because it smells pretty bad.

3 comments :

Lori Thornbrue said...

I like going to things like that. Science is fantastic!

Michaelangelo said...

Physics is so cool. If I hadn't done dental hygiene my plan B was Health Physics. Too bad I don't understand how 99% of everything works :)

Lloyd Family said...

That looks like a lot of fun. I know Jarom would LOVE it!!